The Fontaine de la Noix (‘walnut’ fountain) of 1771 is a prestigious one. The three 18th century consuls wanted it to be elegant and classic, leaving their names engraved on it. However, it would have had the privilege of confusing the reason of those who drank from it on the day of its inauguration, when it flowed with wine.
At the top of the marble column is the ‘walnut’ which earned the fountain its nickname from the people of Lorgues. The inscriptions on the plaques echo the history of the city, affirming its privileges as a free city, and its motto: “Strength and Fidelity”.
The fountain was inscribed in the Inventory of Historic Monuments in 1926.